Contact dermatitis, or allergic contact dermatitis, is a rash that appears when the affected comes into direct contact with a substance they are allergic to. Contact dermatitis appears as a red rash that is usually itchy and physically irritating. Common causes of this condition are new cosmetics, fragrances, hair products, nail products, shampoos, scented soaps, plants, metals and sunscreen. Contact dermatitis patients should use hypoallergenic and unscented products to avoid further triggering the condition.
Allergic contact dermatitis is treated with oral medications or steroid creams and ointments. This condition can persist for several weeks and should be monitored by our providers until it fully resolves. Patch testing is necessary if reactions persist or if the patient is in contact with several potential allergens. Patch testing consists of your provider applying multiple potential allergens to tiny areas of the skin to see how it reacts.